Tuesday, December 21, 2010

One Foot In Front of the Other

     I know that this time of year can be very challenging for a whole host of reasons. As long as we, as a society can't see through the hype, expense and excuses for excess everyone just has to come to terms with it. To be awake and conscious one needs to look at what the Holiday really means to their spiritual growth and what they can do to make sure it is healthy.
     In my early recovery I had to actually walk away from the Holidays all together. Yes, it was hard but ended up being the best thing I could have done. The outcome was that I now own my own Holidays and am not owned by them. There is a big difference. It is very liberating. I partake if I want and I have trained my family to honor my wishes. They probably still don't understand but that is fine. My own journey is independent of theirs at this point.
    I have my own traditions now but only observe them if I am in the mood. I lost a good friend to breast cancer a couple of months ago, so thinking of her and remembering all of her kindness, generousity and love will be a big part of my celebration this year.
    I hope you can take some time to contemplate what you do and why you do it and see if it is really what you want or need for your own personal journey toward more consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment